Willkommen, Gast
Benutzername: Passwort: Angemeldet bleiben:

THEMA: Unnecessary updates

Unnecessary updates 02 Nov 2007 21:57 #153296

I installed the updater script and gave it a whirl.

It came up with 745Mb of data that apparently needed downloading, which I thought was quite reasonable.

However, when I checked the details, many of the tracks and series mods listed are ones that I already have installed, and in some cases ones I have been driving online in leagues and many times in some cases.

For example the Panoz mod, or the Jiading circuit just 2 examples - the versions quoted are the ones I have on my rFactor installation.
Der Administrator hat öffentliche Schreibrechte deaktiviert.

Re:Unnecessary updates 03 Nov 2007 21:09 #153322

I spent the last few hours checking my rFactor mods installations and also installed every mod I have for it (50GB in total).

I then set the updater script to scan the installation again. The result was that it now tells me I need 550MB of data, but when I click on 'details' I again am seeing many mods and tracks that I already have, up to date, and correctly working.

I have been driving rFactor for about a year and I check every day for updates and new mods on RFC and other sites. I use GME to install the mods and its rare that anything goes wrong.

I am not prepared to download so much a second time.

Re:Unnecessary updates 03 Nov 2007 23:11 #153327

same as what happened to me FlashHeart! :(

Re:Unnecessary updates 03 Nov 2007 23:32 #153328

Regarding the Panoz mod, or the Jiading circuit - we are using the files from the DVD version which are not identical with downloadable Panoz or Jiading files from ISI!

Furthermore, the mods on our servers are not immediatley updated with every update of every mod. Maybe this is also a reason for your cognitions.
I am not prepared to download so much a second time.
You don't have to download the same stuff again as long as you did't delete the Archive folder. The Script is smart enough to use the files from the Archive folder... and by the way 550MB are not really much. Just go to your sisters sites ...

In the end, the Script is build to keep the installation of the stupidest user on the same level as the server installation. If you are a hard core gamer who need to have every mod in the lastest incarnation and want to drive on the Bockbierbude servers you should create a separate rFactor installation for the Bockbierbude servers.

Re:Unnecessary updates 04 Nov 2007 10:41 #153332

Yeah - I already decided to do the download and give it a go anyway.

I guessed the reason for having the script, but I have found in the past that sites expect their subscribers to have the latest updates to mods, which is why I always did that.You'll see, when I get on track, that 'hard core' is about the opposite of what I am :unsure:

No probs - I'll have a try on the server in the week :)

Re:Unnecessary updates 04 Nov 2007 10:57 #153333

• Jowi
  • Jowis Avatar
  • Administrator
Look, the reason for building another rFactor website was to have a central DL-location for SOME guys, especially for newcomers to rF, who want to drive together with all needed files on ONE contact point. Of course we don't create new files, so basically all you find here will be the same files as on other locations - more or less. If our automatic updater checks the existance of a track for instance, it insists on having the EXACTELY same files. Just having added or changed a single file on your local installation would result in loading the whole track again. Maybe vacant intelligence in your belief, but it gives us the opportunity to have same files on every side with just ONE klick. Remember, the aim is to have same installations possible without professional's file-jokey capabilities needed.
As you have long experience with rF, with hunters and gatherers' ambition, you might know that not all mods simply work together without problems. So congratulation if you're running a XXL-GByte rFactor installation without any troubles. Maybe we might ask you if we need some professional's assistance?
RFC is of course THE place to go if you always know what you're doing, Bockbierbude is simply a private gameserver with focus on driving together, exchanging views and courtesies, as you can see;-)

But basically it shouldn't matter if you have much more stuff installed, as all you'll get is a snapshot of collected files mostly from known DL-locations. We work hard on testing and comparing file versions to exchange always the latest and best file versions, but as there's much movement in community sometimes it's hard to adhere to a standard, so we quasi try to set our own ;-) Again best way is to set an additional rFactor-folder for us. Personally I have two folders also, one for collecting and testing and one functional for the Bude. And think about: download here is free(!), it'll only cost some time (the less for users the more for offerer), not usual on "other" sites I think...
Nimm Dir Zeit zum Spielen - es ist das Geheimnis der Jugend

Re:Unnecessary updates 04 Nov 2007 13:53 #153336

removed by FH :kiss:

Re:Unnecessary updates 04 Nov 2007 14:07 #153337

• Ufo
  • Ufos Avatar
  • Stammgast
FlashHeart schrieb:
Thank you for your very cynical reply to my enquiry
Hey FlashHeart,

do you really believe Jowi gives such a detailed answer to show his cynism?? Did you read through to the end? He explained all very well, I think. Much better than I did on the Altbierbude to you...

Give it a second try and don't forget - we are all joking a little bit ;) , it's a site to have fun! And I'm sure, it's also hard work for the guys behind the scenes...

Cheers,
Ufo

Re:Unnecessary updates 04 Nov 2007 15:31 #153339

Hi Ufo,

yes I did read through to the end, but I felt very offended by his first paragraph - I think anyone would, tbh.

I may have been racing rFactor for a year, but I have finished in the points a total of twice! This despite the fact that 25 years ago I competed successfully in several rl championships (in Germany, funnily enough).

I am, in fact, now a disabled driver, and just competing in a virtual race is a big challenge to me, so the suggestion that I was one of these high-flying, better-than-though prima donnas was just too much.

I only mentioned the 50Gigs of mods to illustrate how much work it had been to go through and check it all yesterday. I actually, imho, would have had a lot to offer this community in a few ways.

It doesn't matter - I think it would be a bad idea for me to continue here, and as all three that I registered with are connected, its probably best for me to go back to SimHQ.

I wish you all well

Re:Unnecessary updates 04 Nov 2007 15:40 #153341

@ Flasheart.

Only some words from a beginner..

Got to your "Profs" in Sims. That´s your live - you don´t understand the "spirit" of this page and of this servers.

Go Home!

Greets
Andrew

Re:Unnecessary updates 04 Nov 2007 15:41 #153342

• Jowi
  • Jowis Avatar
  • Administrator
Too bad!
If it sounded cynic I have to make excuses.
But as you were affected by my words, I felt a bit provoked, that your first posts were about criticizm of our small work here.
It's not easy to handle all the stuff about a 1 year old simulation for people out there and communication between each other sometimes neither :-)

Again sorry for "offense" - maybe you come back again some time later...
Nimm Dir Zeit zum Spielen - es ist das Geheimnis der Jugend
Ladezeit der Seite: 0.030 Sekunden
Zum Seitenanfang